Saint Matthew HSM

Saint Matthew HSM

Friday, August 3, 2007

Friday Night

Hume Lake is a different experience for me every time I go. This time was no different. Today (Friday) was an amazing day. We participated in the best recreation game today . . . The Great Race. It’s an awesome combination of 9 different events. Like: eating an entire lime, answering Bible questions, and spelling Recreation out on the ground by people lying down to form the letters. I swear, some of the things you’d expect to be easy turned into rocket science, no joke. Normally we have a morning chapel, but instead, all of the people who came with Saint Matthew got together and held our own chapel service. We got together, sang a few songs, and then people stood up and shared how Hume Lake has changed their lives. Many people shared about how they came to God this week, or about how they changed their views on Christianity. I think that there were two main points I picked up this week. The first was: God not only forgives all who ask for it, but He frees them too, from all past sins. Satan will try to drop guilt bombs on you, but when you realize that God loves you even more, imperfection and all, just somehow makes life even fuller. The second thing I realized was more along the lines of self-discovery. I realized that I am not looking for a religion, nor am I religious. I simply seek a personal relationship with Jesus. Of course, if one were to ask me what religion I am, I would say that I am a Christian, but I don’t try to be religious, just to grow in a relationship with Jesus. After everyone was finished sharing, we took communion and sang a sending song. We haven’t had today’s evening chapel yet, so I haven’t seen the closing video, and Chris Brown hasn’t spoken. He’s the best speaker I’ve listened to in my 5 years of Hume. He’s funny, and his messages are easy to connect to high school life. He is a great storyteller, and one of the funniest people I’ve heard. Overall, this has been one of my favorite Hume trips. Once again, Hume doesn’t fail to let me down. It has been a great week, and we (unfortunately) have to leave bright AND early tomorrow morning. Its sad, I’m gonna miss Hume, but it gives me something to look forward to next year.
-Daniel Fitterer

2 comments:

kathyf said...

Hey parents,
There have been some bus mishaps. Bus number 2 accompanied by PD had problems, they sent a replacement that got in a crash, so the company is sending another bus that should arrive at Hume at 2:30, those kids will arrive home aprox 8:30pm.

Bus number 1, accompanied by Justin and Andrea, are late, but on the way. They should be home by 5:30.

I am posting notices at church.

Pastor David said...

Hey Parents,

We all arrived safely back to Walnut Creek by 8:30 pm on Saturday.

Bus update: on the way to picking us up at Hume the second bus took the wrong road into Hume. The road is narrow and winding. Coming around the corner the bus turned to miss a car coming too fast the other way and ended up “kissing” the side of the mountain. The bus company sent up another bus from Merced.

Hume went out of their way to accommodate us. They hosted us in the staff dining hall with an awesome lunch and opened up the pool for swimming and the ark for basketball.

Even though half of us were “stuck” at Hume for an additional five hours there were no complaints . . . Hume is truly an awesome place.

It was a blessing and honor to hang out with your teens this past week. God’s Spirit changed hearts and lives . . . I hope you notice a difference.

-Pastor David

p.s. there are still a few sleeping bags etc. left in Wagner Center. Please make arrangements to pick them up before they "disappear."